British Virgin Islands
Keeping You Safe
Trade & News Hub
Weddings & Events
Back to lifestyle homepage
We caught up with Executive Chef Yassine Khalal to discuss his biggest inspirations in the kitchen, favourite dishes and what makes Kasbah Tamadot so special…
1. Who’s your biggest inspiration?
In my 18 years working in the kitchen I have been lucky enough to work with well-known chefs such as Alain Ducasse, Yannick Aleno and Rachid Maftouh (all French 3 Michelin star chefs) all of whom have inspired me to be passionate about my job. I truly believe that without passion you cannot create food for your guests to enjoy.
2. What’s your favourite dish?
My all-time favourite dish to cook and eat is chicken tagine with lemon and olives; it’s also a favourite amongst our guests at Kasbah Tamadot too.
3. What is your cooking style?
I love to combine both local and international flavours when cooking, especially Mediterranean cuisine like our fish tagine marinade in Chermoula sauce – a must for all guests to try!
4. What’s the 1 Moroccan ingredient people should be using more, and how?
It would have to be pistil saffron. The smallest amount can add so much flavour to an entire recipe, plus it has the added health benefits of being an antioxidant too!
5. What’s the most important tool in your kitchen?
The most important tool for any chef has to be the food. I’m passionate about using local ingredients and it’s something that Kasbah Tamadot has ample of. The on-site garden and orchard provides seasonal fruit, vegetables and herbs throughout the year that we use in all of our menus.
6. What makes Kasbah Tamadot such a great place to eat (…and stay of course!)
Alongside the stunning views and delicious food, the people are what make Kasbah Tamadot so special; they are professional, kind and attentive to one another and guests.
Why not try creating one of Yassine’s delicious chocolate fondants from the comfort of your kitchen? Remember to post your creation on our social pages too and #virginlimitededition
CHOCOLATE FONDANT (serves 8)
500g Dark chocolate
250g Icing sugar (sifted)
150g Flour (sifted)
10 medium Eggs
8 scoops Pistachio ice cream (1 scoop per serving)
• Preheat the oven to 200°C
• Chop the chocolate into small chunks
• Bring an inch of water to a simmer in a saucepan and put a heatproof bowl on top of the pan, making sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl
• Place the chocolate in the bowl, stirring occasionally as it softens. Add the butter and continue to stir. When you have just a few small un-melted chunks, remove the bowl from the heat
• In a separate bowl, slowly add the flour, icing sugar and eggs and stir until smooth. Add the chocolate and continue stirring
• Prepare a baking tin (or individual tins) with some butter and then lightly dust with flour so the mixture does not stick
• Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 7 minutes
Serve the chocolate fondant with ice cream. Enjoy!
When you book a stay at Kasbah Tamadot for at least 4 nights you’ll get one free night on us!