Looking for an easy BBQ dish? Head Chef, Adam Bateman, at The Lodge shares his BBQ beer can chicken recipe, a simple but delicious way of grilling that ensures the meat is bursting with juicy flavour.
- 1 can of Ginger Beer
- 1 whole chicken
For the marinade:
- 70g brown sugar
- 35g maple syrup
- 10g smoked paprika
- 7g salt
- 5g chilli flakes
- 5g ground coriander
- 10g sesame oil
- 10g water
- Firstly, prepare your BBQ so it’s 180°C with the lid on (you can also use an oven).
- Take the chicken and using a small knife, remove the wishbone, this makes carving the bird easier later.
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and then rub onto the chicken skin
- Open the can of ginger beer and pour out a quarter of the can into a glass (this is for you to enjoy while the chicken cooks!) - you don’t want the can full, or even worse un-opened, otherwise it will overflow or explode when cooking! If you want, you can put a sprig of thyme (or another herb like rosemary or sage) in the beer can.
- Place the chicken standing up over the can and put on the BBQ for 1 hour. The juices from the chicken should be clear, and not pink, when cut with a knife.
- Don’t worry if the skin is slightly charred! It still tastes great!
- Remove the chicken carefully using tongs as the beer can will be hot. Move onto a tray to rest, then serve and enjoy!
Want more? Why not escape to The Lodge and experience a three night culinary escape with a cooking lesson, wine tasting, cheese making and more! You'll also enjoy 50% off your final night.