Pride 'n Purpose
Things to do
British Virgin Islands
Children at Ulusaba
We love kids and have a dedicated Cub’s Club to keep your little ones entertained during your stay. Children of all ages are very welcome at Rock Lodge (including Cliff Lodge), which is ideal for families with children, however we unfortunately don’t allow Cubs under the age of 12 to stay at Safari Lodge. As long as your Cub is aged 6 or over he or she is more than welcome on the safari game vehicles.
Because Rock Lodge is intimate we do not operate a set programme, but rather a range of great activities for your cubs to choose from. On arrival each cub will receive a backpack filled with fun and educational safari goodies. Cubs have their very own amenities in the room, just like their folks do, and in every Cub’s room there will be a personal welcome letter and a special introduction to their stay with a health and safety briefing specifically aimed at younger guests.
As of 1 June 2015 some changes came into force concerning all visitors to South Africa travelling with children under 18 years of age. Visitors are now required to provide unabridged birth certificates at immigration on arrival. Further information can be found on the Department of Home Affairs website or the UK Foreign and Commonwealth website.
Accommodation for children
Kids can be accommodated in some rooms on fold-out or rollaway beds. In some cases charges and restrictions may apply. At Rock Lodge the best rooms for children are Cliff Lodge 1, which has a separate room just off the lounge with two twin beds, and Rock Suite, whose two-bedroom configuration is ideal for families. Rollaway beds can also be accommodated in our two Makwela Suites as well as in Cliff Lodge 2.
We can tailor games and activities depending on the number and age ranges of the children staying. Here are some of the activities your 'cub' might get up to...
• A welcome treasure hunt to help Cubs familiarise themselves with their surroundings.
• Your Cubs will explore their Arts and Crafts ability with coloured sand art and an afternoon of rock painting.
• A great range of new and classic children's DVDs, CDs and a Nintendo Wii to keep your Cubs busy
• Cubs are able to enjoy the swimming pool with an experienced swimmer to supervise afternoon pool activities and enjoy ice-cream to re-energise
• A wide variety of educational board games, puzzles and ‘Big 5’ playing cards, all with a safari theme
• Traditional South African kids’ games which they can teach their friends when they get home
• A mini Ranger’s course where your Cub’s Ranger will teach them about the African bush and how to track and identify animal footprints and dung droppings
• All Cubs will be invited to join the Pen Pal Club
• Safari walks around Rock Lodge to spot birds, insects, lizards and anything else your Cub may find
• Bedtime story-telling complete with milk and cookies, or whatever normally helps get your cubs ready for bed!
• Allow your cubs to become a safari master chef with a morning of creating and cooking homemade pizzas for lunch and cupcakes for guests to enjoy at tea
• Cubs and their folks are encouraged to visit the community so kids can learn about giving back and to see how different the lifestyles are in the community
• The Ulusaba Cub's spa treatments will ensure that your Cub is able to unwind after a busy day with a variety of specially designed treatments for children
Kids Stay Free
Most of the time children stay for free at Ulusaba and we have rooms that work fantastically well for families - just ask our reservations team at the time of booking and they can advise you on the options available. Children of all ages are welcome at Rock Lodge and children aged 12 and over can stay at Safari Lodge.
The rates below only apply when our Kids Go Free offer is not valid, usually at peak periods including Christmas and New Year's Eve.
• 1 child sharing with 1 adult will be charged ZAR 2,200 per night on top of the Adult Single Rate
• 1 child in his/her own room is charged the Adult Single Occupancy Rate
• 2 or more children in their own room are charged the Adult Single Occupancy Rate for the first child plus ZAR 2,200 per child per night for each additional child
…an infant? A guest under the age of 6 (Infants stay free of charge provided they share with at least one adult)
…a child? A guest between the ages of 6 and 12
…an adult? A guest aged 12 years and over