Things to do
British Virgin Islands
Children aged six years or older are very welcome to stay at Mahali Mzuri and because we know each ‘little warrior’ (as we call them) is different, we do not operate a set kid’s programme. Instead we offer a range of activities that we tailor to each child or group depending on their ages and interests.
Special food and beverages or simple snacks and light meals can be prepared according to your child’s tastes. Please let us know of any dietary requirements in advance.
Please note our staff members are happy to help organise activities, but are unable to watch over children at all times. Children of all ages must be under parental supervision whilst in camp.
Accommodation for children
At Mahali Mzuri, two tents are configured to accommodate two additional guests who are 15 years and under. Childrens' day beds (180cm in length) are set up in a separate enclosed sitting room. All rooms are equipped with a hairdryer, sunscreen, insect repellent, torches, extra blankets, ponchos, bathrobes, slippers, a complimentary mini-bar (including snacks and soft drinks) and hot water bottles.
Children under the age of 12 are not permitted to sleep in a tent without parental supervision. Children between the ages of 12-15 are allowed to stay in their own tent, however we strongly recommend that any child under the age of 15 shares a tent with their parent.
Children are welcome to participate in our activities for ‘Little Warriors’. Here are some ideas of things we can help to organise before your kids arrive:
• Test your tracking skills around the camp with an organised treasure hunt
• Play some games! We've got lots of ideas, but we're happy to play your favourite game
• See what you can spy around the camp. We can arrange a short excursion to spot lizards, insects and birds
• Settle in to watch The Lion King or Madagascar on DVD, and see if you can spot some of the characters' friends from the game vehicles during the day
• Ask your Guide to tell you about the animals in the bush, or perhaps listen to a bedtime story with milk and cookies!
Little Warriors is not a fixed kid's programme. Our staff members are happy to help organise activities, but are unable to watch over children at all times. Parental supervision is therefore required for all suggested activities. Please note that some of these activities are subject to availability.
Rates for children
Children and additional adults are charged as follows:
• 1 child sharing with 1 adult will be charged 50% of the adult double occupancy rate per night, on top of the adult single occupancy rate
• 1 child or 1 adult sharing with 2 adults will be charged 50% or 75% (respectively) of the adult double occupancy rate per night, on top of the adult double occupancy rate
• 2 children or 2 adults sharing with 2 adults will be charged 50% or 75% per person (respectively) of the adult double occupancy rate per night, on top of the adult double occupancy rate
• 1 child (over 12 years old) in his/her own room is charged at the adult single occupancy rate
• 2 or more children (over 12 years old) in their own room are charged 50% per night on top of the adult single occupancy rate
Just what is:
A child? a guest aged 6 to 15
An adult? a guest aged 16 years and over
Occasionally due to restrictions on the number of guests and vehicles allowed in the conservancy, we may not be able to accommodate extra children or adults in tents – please contact us for details.
Frequently Asked Questions
ON GAME DRIVES
• Children must be six years old to visit Mahali Mzuri and to accompany their parents on game drive. When not on drives at least one parent will need to stay at camp with their child(ren)
• While out in the bush, children will need to be very quiet as not to startle any wild animals
• When children aged 6-12 are in a game viewing vehicle, either transiting to and from the airstrip or going on a game drive, they must sit in the back of the vehicle and observe all instructions from the Guide carefully. Continued participation in game drives will be at the sole discretion of the Guide based on his or her professional evaluation of the situation; game drives with children present may also be shorter if the driver feels it to be necessary
• The roads can be very dusty, so please bring sunglasses to protect little eyes
• For safety reasons children must be accompanied at all times around the camp, both day and night as the camp is located in a wildlife area which is not fenced. Our Askari (security guards) give special attention to tents occupied by children during the night
• Please remember it is not only the larger animals that can react aggressively; the smaller, less overtly threatening ones are just as likely to respond if they feel threatened, so we ask that children be kept within arm’s reach at all times
• The camp does not provide any babysitting services
• We supply complimentary sun cream at camp, so please help yourself
• Please be aware that the electricity is turned off at night. If your child is afraid of the dark, we can provide a battery operated night light
• We do not have any lifeguards at Mahali Mzuri, therefore children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult at all times when in and around the swimming pool
• We have mosquito nets available on request and there is mosquito spray available in each tent