There is always an abundance of exciting things growing in our beautiful Gardens, and last week our Head Gardener Pilar was delighted to harvest a crop of juicy plums and almonds from our fruit trees.
After gathering her pickings, Pilar passed these into the capable hands of the Babylon team. Our Head Pastry Chef, Kate, got to work creating a fresh dessert for Babylon guests to enjoy straight from the Gardens. Maybe we are biased but we think there is something special about knowing that ingredients have been sourced from just a few meters away!
Kate’s Plum and Almond Crumble is a delicious warming dessert showcasing all the flavours of autumn – perfect for the harvest season!
Whether you are lucky enough to have harvested your own plums this year or if you’ve sourced them from elsewhere, you can create a little taste of the magic of The Roof Gardens at home with Kate’s recipe below.
Kate’s warm Plum and Almond Crumble
For the Crumble filling
- 700g fresh red plums
- 1 x large Bramley apple
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- zest and juice of 1 x small orange
- 50g soft brown sugar
For the Almond Crumble topping
- 70g plain flour
- 70g oats
- 70g Demerara sugar
- 70g flaked almonds
- A pinch of salt
- 80g melted butter
– Cut the plums in to quarters and take out the stone. Peel and cut the cooking apple into large chunks and mix with sugar, cinnamon and the zest and juice of your orange.
– Pour your fruit mixture into an ovenproof dish and bake at 180⁰C for twenty minutes, giving it a stir halfway through the cooking time.
– Whilst your filling is in the oven, combine the plain flour, oats, Demerara sugar, flaked almonds and salt in a bowl. Mix in the butter until you are left with a crumbly texture.
– Remove your filling from the oven and leave to stand for a couple of minutes. Evenly spread the crumble topping across the top and then returning to the oven for a further 30 mins.
– Once your dessert comes out of the oven, you will have to resist for a couple of minutes whilst you wait for it to cool slightly! Serve up warm with fresh cream or custard.