Our Necker Belle chef Nicole AKA Pixie has put together an Asian delight! It may look a little daunting but promise most of it is just prep work, making it perfect for dinner parties!
Pixie also provides some insight if not using Kobe strip loin then use beef fillet or if you’re feeling a little bit more adventurous try with a combination of Seabass. Basically all the hard work is done before your guests arrive and because the meal is served cold it takes the stress off perfecting platting your masterpiece.
This Necker Belle recipe serves 8 people
To do ahead:
Miso and Broccoli Puree
250ml miso soup (If you want to take some stress off use the instant packet mix)
50g butter, softened
• Cook the broccoli in the soup until just tender.
• Blend with the butter and enough of the soup for a puree consistency that can be smeared on the plate.
• Pour into a bowl and place the bowl into an ice bath to keep the puree bright green and stop the cooking process.
Broccoli steam salad:
Stems from the heads of the broccoli from the puree
• Using a speedy peeler, thinly shave the broccoli stems and place in iced water
• Cut the broccoli and small florets and blanch in boiling hot water and refresh in iced water. Remove and drain on paper towel.
• Pour hot water over noodles in a bowl, cover and stand for 10 minutes.
• Drain and set aside.
100G Plain yoghurt
3 sheets nori
Salt and pepper
• Roast the seaweed in the oven for 5 minutes at 180’C, grind into a fine powder.
• Mix with the yoghurt and season with the lemon juice and salt and pepper.
50ml Japanese rice vinegar
10g bonito flakes
A good squeeze of wasabi!
• Mix all together, let infuse.
• Drain out the bonito.
1.6kg kobe beef strip loin or beef fillet
4 cloves garlic
A thumb size piece of ginger
200ml soya sauce
100ml ketchup manis
• Trim the fat of the strip loin
• Squash the garlic cloves, half the chili, slice up the ginger and mix in with the soy and ketchup mains.
• Marinate for 8 hours.
• Get a frying pan smoking hot. Sear the beef on all sides.
• Roast in an oven at 180’C for 40 minutes.
• Take out and rest for 10 minutes
A few sneaky serving tips
• Season the broccoli stems and heads
• Smear broccoli puree and seaweed yoghurt on the plate
• Slice the strip loin and place two pieces on the place.
• Scatter the broccoli heads and stems around the beef and puree.
• Toss the vermicelli in the wasabi vinaigrette and pile next to beef, drizzle a little extra.
• Garnish with micro coriander